Consumer- Run Wellness and Recovery Center
Silver Spring, Maryland
What is Psychiatric Recovery?
“Recovery is a process, a way of life, an attitude and a way of approaching the day’s challenges. It is not a perfect linear process. At times our course is erratic and we falter, slide back, regroup, and start again” Patricia Deegan 1988
The Silver Spring Wellness and Recovery Center (SSWRC) is located with Santé’s psychiatric services in downtown Silver Spring. It is available to Montgomery County clients who are receiving or who have received mental health treatment.
At SSWRC we believe that through peer support each individual is empowered to actively participate in achieving and maintaining their personal wellness and recovery goals.
Peer-run services are highly cost-effective, and reduce isolation, hospitalizations, severity of symptoms and many other ills. Further, our focus on wellness and on each individual’s strengths, instead of their illnesses, increases community engagement and a holistic sense of self. We are particularly interested in employment and financial issues with our members, as poverty is a recurring issue. We feel that financial empowerment is a key component of recovery, and are working on ways to promote this in benefits counseling, advocacy, employment, budgeting, and other endeavors.
We have been a pilot site, since the summer of 2008, in Montgomery County’s Wellness and Recovery workgroup, in conjunction with the county’s Office of Consumer Affairs
What Wellness and Recovery means for our consumers:
- Peer support
- Active participation in their personal wellness and recovery journey
- The opportunity to be a support to others; benefiting those giving and receiving support
- The chance to become part of a community
- Access to training, activities and resources
How we work with you:
- National Alliance on Mental Health, connection peer support groups; for individuals with any kind of mental health diagnosis.
- Wellness Recovery Action Planning (WRAP) classes and support groups
- Auricular (ear) acupuncture, following NADA protocol, for stress reduction and detoxification from substances
- Poetry classes
- Host for NAMI’s “In Our Own Voice” stories of recovery
- Cyber Café – with internet access
- Wii Fit, PlayStation and Biofeedback (Wild Divine) programs
- Resource library, lending library, films.
- Clothes donations
- Exercise, healthy eating farmers markets
- Pet therapy
- Field trips
Adults 18 and over who have experienced mental illness or mental health difficulties. We also assist their loved ones, providers, and other community stakeholders. A membership application is requested in order to provide services. Membership is free, and there are no attendance requirements. One does not have to receive clinical services from Affiliated Santé Group’s (Sante) other programs in order to join Silver Spring Wellness and Recovery Center, although we are happy to refer to additional services within the agency as well as in the community.
The service is free, as are our services. We do ask for small donations for special events.
Areas served:Although we primarily serve Montgomery County, Maryland residents, we also serve the wider metropolitan area, and don’t turn anyone away due to residency issues
Phone number: 301 589-2303 ext. 108 or 111
Address: 1400 Spring St. Suite 100, Silver Spring, MD 20910
Website for calendar of monthly activities: www.silverspringdropincenter.blogspot.com
Hours of operation:
Monday-Thursday, 3:00-7:00 p.m., Saturday 1:00-6:00 p.m.