Montgomery County, Maryland
Phone number: 301-572-6585 ext. 2190
Hispanic Seniors Outreach program: 301-572-6585 ext. 2190
The following services and programs are free to homebound seniors, 60 years of age and older, who reside in Montgomery County, Maryland. Services are offered in English and Spanish.
- In-home Therapy with Homebound Seniors: Assessments, brief psychotherapy and practical support helps homebound individuals and families deal with issues like difficult behaviors, stress, depression, adjustment and chronic disease management.
- Hispanic Outreach Program: This program provides culturally sensitive, bi-lingual short-term therapy and gero-psychiatric care to homebound seniors in our community who speak Spanish.
- Gero-psychiatric Consultation: In-home consultations with an English or Spanish speaking psychiatrist can determine appropriate treatment interventions. These recommendations are shared with the primary care physician for ongoing care.
- Family Therapy: Families experiencing lifespan transitions, strong emotional response to the health of a senior or caregiver stress may benefit from psychotherapy services.
- Educational Seminars for Seniors: Classes on mental health and wellness issues for seniors. The primary goal of these seminars is mental illness prevention and early intervention for seniors.
- Professional Consultations & Educational Seminars: Free case consultation, staff training and collaborative activities are offered to aging service processionals and community organizations that provide services to seniors in Montgomery County.
- Drop-in Support Groups for Seniors: Community outreach and drop-in support groups are offered throughout Montgomery County. Drop-in groups offered at Senior Centers are designed to decrease social isolation, help seniors make friends and encourage learning about self-care and wellness.
- Mental Health Support for Caregivers: Professionals that understand the unique mental health needs of seniors and caregivers offer ongoing education and support services to caregivers in our community.
There are approximately 92,000 seniors living in Montgomery County. The following are indications that a senior might have problems that might be addressed by our programs:
- Unexplained decrease or increase in appetite
- Increased anger or irritability
- Rapid mood changes
- Unusual or disorganized behavior
- Makes statements about suicide or an “empty life”
- Isolating self from others
- Sleeping too much or too little
- Unusually quiet
- Tearful without apparent cause
- Highly suspicious of others and makes false accusations
- Refuses to leave home (despite being physically able to leave)
- Hearing voices or seeing things that others do not hear or see
- Inability to maintain personal hygiene
- Excessive collection and retention of newspapers, trash, unopened sale items, clothing, paper, rotting food, animals (hoarding)
Staff includes licensed mental health clinicians and psychiatrists trained in gero-psychiatric care and senior mental health.
- Montgomery County resident, aged 60 or older
- Individual is at risk for or has a suspected mental health concern and who is not currently receiving other mental health treatment
Senior must be homebound: unable or unwilling to leave the home for treatment
To refer a senior for our services, please fill out our Referral Form by clicking here.